Why is my camera or microphone not working?
Audio problems? Camera not working? You can try these steps to resolve the problem.
If your camera and/or mic do not work during the recording, the problem is likely with your browser settings or your device locally.
- Check your browser’s cam and mic permission.
- If you’re using an external camera/mic, check for software driver updates from the manufacturer.
Check your browser permissions
Make sure your browser has permission to use your camera and microphone. You can make these changes in your browser’s site settings.
On Chrome or Microsoft Edge:
Step 1: Open the menu (the three dots ⋮) in the top, right-hand corner of your browser. Then, select “Settings”
Step 2: Choose “Privacy & Security”. Next, select “Site Settings“.
Step 3: Click on the “Camera” or “Microphone” to check their permissions.
Step 4: Ensure that your Camera and Microphone are both set at “Sites can ask to use your camera/microphone”.
Step 5: Check that both Vidbeyond and the website that you’re trying to record from are not listed under the blocked section.
Alternatively, return to the webpage where you’re attempting to record.
Step 1: Click on the lock icon next to the website URL.
Step 2: Select “Site settings” (or “Site permissions”, if using Edge as your browser).
Step 3: Ensure you have “Allow” selected for both camera and microphone.
Step 4: Restart your browser.
- On Mac: press “Command” + “Q” on the keyboard to perform a hard quit.
- On Windows: close down all browser windows.
Check for driver updates (external camera and microphones)
A driver is software that allows your computer to communicate with hardware devices. Without drivers, the devices you connect to your computer—for example, an external camera or microphone—won’t work properly.
- If you use MacOS, ensure that you have the latest system software updates.
- If you use WindowsOS, you can allow Microsoft to automatically check for driver updates.
Otherwise, visit the online support portal for your device’s manufacturer. Use your device’s serial or identification number to check for software updates.